Required Measurements for Calculating EER

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Urrutia 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Aaron Conger

Hi all,

What are the required measurements/data inputs needed to calculate EER?

I’ve recently purchased a performance test kit (with hoses) and I also have a multimeter for making electrical measurements. Do I also need to make airflow and/or pressure measurements to get unit efficiency? In experimenting with some of the demo data in the app, it seems that I don’t need to input any static pressure measurements for EER to populate.

Is there maybe some kind of document that outlines the required measurements for calculating EER? Perhaps there are a set of “required” measurements for basic calculations, and a set of “optional” measurements for additional functionality.

Thanks,
    Aaron C.

#10068 Reply

JasonO
    Keymaster

Hello Aaron. In order to to display the EER for the unit, you need to profile it first. You can use one of quick profiles or create your own. Input the type of refrigerant, system type, metering device, condenser type, and then input the tonnage. Once this is finished, press submit and go into the measurements menu, go down to Electrical tab. If it is a split system you will need to enter voltage and current for L1 and L2 at the condenser and the voltage and current of the motor in the furnace or air handler. If the air handler is 240 you will need the readings for L1 and L2. Then press submit. If it is a package system, you just need to input the voltage and current for L1 (and L2 if it is 240) from the main. Let me know if this helps you.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  JasonO.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  JasonO.
    #10091 Reply

Aaron Conger

Thanks Jason. I’m assuming I also need to “benchmark” the system with the iManifold (i.e. taking readings from the refrigerant lines), correct?

I’ve made a test profile as you’ve laid out above, and also entered some dummy values for electrical readings. The only thing I haven’t done is actually benchmark a system (since I don’t have one to connect to). So far, I don’t see a value for EER on the main screen.

#10092 Reply

Eric Urrutia

Aaron,

Once you have tuned a particular system to satisfaction, it may be benchmarked. The next duplicate system you are going to next will have established performance targets from the benchmarked system. You do not need to benchmark every system that you work on. If you are doing say a series of tract homes that have duplicate designs you can benefit from the benchmarking feature.

#10093 Reply

Aaron Conger

Thanks Eric. So I don’t need to “benchmark” the system in the strict sense of the word, but I do need to obtain the refrigerant measurements from the iManifold, in addition to profiling the system and obtaining electrical measuresments as Jason outlined above. This might be obvious, but Jason didn’t actually mention hooking up the iManifold to the refrigerant system in his steps outlined to obtain EER. So I just wanted to confirm that step as well.

To confirm my other question from the original post, do I need obtain static pressure measurements to calculate EER?

#10095 Reply

Eric Urrutia

Static pressure is not required to calculate your EER. You can phone me so we can go over a quick tutorial on measurements. You can reach me at 716-699-2031. Select technical help and it will transfer to me.

#10731 Reply

Michael Garofalo

Any update on the Electrical input values being lost. I have to re enter the data at least twice for it to register. Every time I go back to retrieve the data, this information is gone from the system measurements.

#10732 Reply

Eric Urrutia

Michael,

Entering electrical information in a project and then capturing a “measurement in” will require that you re-enter an electrical measurement for the “measurement out”. Also, when conducting a project and you “exit project” it will require that you enter electrical measurements again. Carrying through the entire project without exiting will retain the snapshot of the electrical measurement. If you need further help with this, please give a call.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Required Measurements for Calculating EER
Your information:

77 − = 71